Losing to Win

Beginning a weight loss journey through food, time, and activity. The plan is to post every few days and honestly portray my efforts. Wish me luck!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ups, and my First Down

First, a quote from my mother.

"Berries are like God's little gift to us." -my mom, regarding the wonders of berries and how they can be so sweet, low sugar, low calorie, and high in vitamins/minerals/antioxidants, etc. They are really just awesome.

Next on the agenda, bad news. I failed yesterday. I went to a fancy grocery store with a friend of mine yesterday and purchased (and subsequently ate) a red velvet cupcake loaded with cream cheese icing. The resulting stomach ache was both from guilt and poor nutrition. Old habits are hard to break, but they MUST be broken. I also purchased some chocolates that are now hiding in my closet. I have had one. I felt the guilt of buying those, too, but since I did anyway and I hate wasting food, I'm hiding them for when I really need something sweet, and can budget it in my caloric intake for the day. They are a test for me. Today, I pass.

Now for good news!! 

The guilt of yesterday was rather empowering today, luckily. I woke up and exercised for the fourth consecutive morning, went to work, and cleaned and painted some floors. Yes. Active, enjoyable work (note:  not glamorous.) I went to the break room to get some water, when I noticed the two huge boxes of fresh Krispy Kremes. One of the contractors brings them in once a week, and I usually have one, wait till everyone else leaves, then have two more. While I was in the room, I wanted one more than anything else, but then I remembered. Probably by looking at my gut. I don't need the sugar, I only want it because it's free and in my face. I RESISTED!!

Success #2 for today. On my commute home, which lasts five minutes when traffic is bad, I contemplated my snack. I was hungry. I had been four hours since food touched my stomach, so it wasn't surprising I was hungry. I came home, downed a glass of water (I've been having about 10 a day, maybe more), then went to prep the snack. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. All of them fresh and so very sweet. I topped them, just for a touch of added decadence, with some fat free Redi Whip (which, by the way, is delicious and 2.5 cal/tbsp.) The snack was as yummy and filling as it was beautiful. I think I may repeat it tomorrow.

Exercising. I never, EVER thought I'd say this, but each morning, I honestly can't wait to do it, and when I come home from work each night, I want to exercise some more! Who am I? I've always been the lazy, pudgy (now technically obese) one. I ran up the stairs at work today! I am energetic, I am happy, I am better rested, I have a more reasonable sleeping schedule, my stomach has stopped hurting every time I eat, and I actually feel stronger and I get better at the workout each day, noticeably. Why on Earth did I never do this before? I can't wait to get back up to school where it's cooler and less humid so I can start my Couch to 5K program, to train for the 8K I want to run in the spring.

I hope tomorrow is as satisfying as today was, because I am pretty ecstatic just to be alive right now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home